The High Institute of Public Health (HIPH), Alexandria, was founded in 1956 by the Ministry of Health of Egypt (MOH) to overcome the observed deficiency in postgraduate education and training in the different fields of public health.
The main purpose of the Institute is to support the health care system in Egypt and other countries in the Middle East with individuals who have sufficient Knowledge and skills to carry out the health development process effectively and efficiently.
In 1963, the affiliation of the Institute was transferred to the University of Alexandria to become the first postgraduate institute specialized in public health in the Eastern Mediterranean Region.
The High Institute of Public Healthhas always received strong support from the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO/EMRO). Therefore, the relationship between the HIPH and WHO has enhancedsignificantly in many fields including Degree-education, non degree-education, technical Consultation and research.